I think many singers find themselves confusing the concept of range with the higher ideal of Tessitura. When we talk about our vocal range we’re referring to the distance between our lowest singable note and our highest singable note. The human voice, on average is anatomically capable of singing across three to three and a half octaves. This being said I think most voices spend the majority of their time singing across one and a half to about two octaves.
Another term we can apply to this sweet spot, one-octave range is Tessitura. Interestingly, the Italian term tessitura is also the term used to describe the mean average of the ‘placing of notes’ within a written melody. The term tessitura, when applied with thought and skill can really help you to make wise choices about which key might best suit your voice for that song you’re working on right now. It’s simple: comfort first, key second. Not the other way around.
WATCH: Learn more about ‘Voice Classification’
— FREE DOWNLOAD —
Download Dr Dan’s first exercise track for FREE: http://drdan.co/exerciseCD
— DON’T MISS ANOTHER VIDEO: Follow these steps —
* Go to my channel page (http://drdan.co/VoiceEssentials)
* Click on the ‘Settings’ cog (next to the ‘SUBSCRIBE’ button)
* Tick the ‘Send me all notifications for this channel’ box.
— SINGING/PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS —
Would you like some feedback about your singing? Have your vocal performance video reviewed as a part of Dr Dan’s LIVE SHOW right here on YouTube. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Every successful submission receives a FREE digital copy of Dr Dan’s Voice Essentials Singing Exercise CD.
— Watch Dr Dan’s TOP SINGING TIPS —
10 of the Best: http://drdan.co/veTOP10
— TOOLS for SINGERS —
* FREE ‘7 Days to a Better Voice’ – http://drdan.co/7daysbettervoice
* SINGING LESSONS with Dr Dan – http://drdan.co/DrDanSkype
* VOCAL EXERCISES – http://drdan.co/exerciseCD
* ARTICLES about voice & singing – http://drdan.co/DrDanArticles
— LET’S CONNECT —
* YOUTUBE – http://drdan.co/VoiceEssentials
* FACEBOOK – http://drdan.co/DrDanFacebook
* TWITTER – http://drdan.co/DrDanTwitter
* GOOGLE+ – http://drdan.co/DrDanGoogle
* LINKEDIN – http://drdan.co/DrDanLinkedIn
* INSTAGRAM – http://drdan.co/DrDanInstagram
* PERISCOPE – http://drdan.co/DrDanPeriscope | @VoiceEssentials
— Stay UP-TO-DATE with Dr Dan’s FREE Email List —
© 2016 Djarts & Dr Daniel K. Robinson
All Rights Reserved.